Sunday, April 20, 2008

High school thoughts...

Besides little tidbits and anecdotes from my childhood that show how I was formed as a person, this blog is about my life as a whole and what I do.

But, here's more from memory lane.

When I was finishing up high school and contemplating what my life career would be, I actually made a conscious choice not to focus on art as a way to make my living.

My concept was--I wanted freedom to do my art the way I felt inspired at the time. I did not want to be tied to performance pressure and deadlines. Back then, I thought it would be hard to make money as a painter; and interior design and the clothing industry seemed rife with pressures.

In addition, the ideal in my mind was to not work a 9 to 5 schedule. (Remember I was growing up in the 70's.) I have always valued self-direction and autonomy when it comes to time.

Ironically, as a self-employed marriage and family therapist, I now do have just the schedule I like to keep (more like afternoon-evening hours), and feel very free indeed!

And now (in my golden years!), I am re-opening the art box, and am very thrilled to be sharing my paintings with the world!

(Go to www.sherylbrownart.blogspot.com to see some of my paintings.)

No comments: